sábado, 26 de agosto de 2017

Entrevista a Todd Turnham de Strife

Entrevistamos a Todd Turnham guitarrista de la banda Strife, donde nos habla un poco acerca de quien es el, como ve el hardcore en estos días y por supuesto de Strife, esta bastante interesante pasen a darle una leída.


1.Can you tell us, for those who do not know, who is Todd Turnham? 
I am a Southern California Native that has been lucky enough to play in the band Strife for the better part of the last twenty years. Kind of the anonymous member of the band as it is extremely rare that I have do an interview so truth be told, this is only one of a handful of interviews that I have ever done.




2.How do you start into hardcore/punk music? Remember your first show? 
I remember visiting a friend in the 5th grade because he told me about this record that he had gotten from his older brother. I ended up staying over that Friday after school and once everyone in the house went to sleep we brought the speakers all the way to the turn table and played the first Suicidal Tendencies record from start to finish. We couldn’t believe it. Neither of us had heard anything like it and the artwork from the album was like nothing that we had seen. I would say that night was my intro to hardcore and punk. My parents appreciated live music so I can remember going to listen to live music as a very young kid. I think that the first band that I saw will definitely date me but it was Captain and Tenneill at Ceasars Palace inn Lake Tahoe, Nevada. Buddy Hackett was the opening act and his act was dirty, he even looked at us and apologized from the stage. i am sure that you will have to google those names to find out who they are…It was pretty damn boring so once I had the chance to see a Hardcore show I was hooked. 

3.What comes to your mind when I mention the names of Bad Brains, Dead Kennedys, Minor Threat and Black Flag? 
I have to say that the two bands that meant the most to me in that group have definitely been the Bad Brains and Minor Threat. The lyrics of Minor Threat opened doors to a new way of thinking about social interactions and was profoundly impactful. The Bad Brains music was and still is the best that there has ever been in my opinion. I can never get tired of listening to that band. Dead Kennedys were also another example of thinking outside the box and doing things in a unique way especially compared to every other type of music that I heard up to that point. I can appreciate them and what they do along with Black Flag but none has had the impact that the Bad Brains had.

                             


4.What do you think about hardcore scene in the present? 
I think that the current state of the hardcore scene is strong. I have been fortunate enough to have seen shows in so many countries and I think the differences from country to country are subtle. The active bands and community has made it their own and I can admire that younger people do it in their own way now. I will always appreciate the community and it’s ability to accept people from all walks of life and as long as it remains a positive and creative outlet, It will stay healthy. 

5.How was the beginning of Strife? 
Strife Began as a different band a few years before I was a member but there were several guitar players, a different bass player but I wasn’t a part of the very beginning. I was asked to join the band during the recording process of One Truth. There is a band photo in the One Truth art work and I am in it but I didn’t write or record any of the songs on that album. 




6.Definitely ¨In This Defiance¨is one of my favorite records, how was the recording of this album and process with Dino Cazares (Fear Factory), Chino Moreno (Deftones) and Igor Cavalera (Sepultura) 
Thank you. We worked really hard on that record and I think that In this Defiance is still the record that defines us. We were in a great position having toured with Sepultura and having met Dino from Fear Factory and were able to get those guys to be a part of the record. The toughest part was getting Chino to participate but he was down and came right into the studio and did his thing. I wish that we were able to feature more of what Chino did on the album but you do the best you can. We have been lucky enough to work with Igor on our last two releases and have had the chance to play live with Dino but I hope that we finally get the chance to have Chino perform “Will to Die” live with us at least once.




7.Do you play in other bands in the past and the present? 
I have played in a few bands before Strife one of which I was the singer for. They were fun and I had a good time in each of those bands but once Strife asked me to be a part of the band I really haven’t officially been in another band. I like to write songs and riffs and have never stopped doing that. I have tons of that stuff but the styles are very different so they never materialized into a new project officially. I did recently go to rehearse some different material with Strife’s current drummer so we will see what becomes of that. 

8.I understand that Strife stopped playing for a while, What motive the band to return? 
The band re-formed to play one small show that was surprise for our friends birthday. The fun was undeniable and the pressure was off so slowly we booked shows and the band is almost the same lineup as it was on “In This Defiance”. We have had a few different and truly great drummers in the last 6 years so we are lucky to have had the band continue the way that it has since re-forming. Adam Galindo has been our drummer for the last few years, he plays for One Choice and Crooked Teeth, Adam has been a perfect fit for Strife. We are really lucky to have him. 

9.Do you know any latin america hardcore bands? 
Of course. We have friends in Questions from Brazil. I was just listening to Clearview, also from Sao Paulo and they are really great. Reality Slap from Portugal is incredible. I am listening to Sigo Aquí while I am typing this and I like what I am hearing from them. Lot’s of great bands from Latin America including legends like Sepultura and Ratos de Porão. 

10.I saw that last year Strife play in Mexico in the Off Limits fest, how was de experience? 
It was the first time in Mexico? Off Limits fest in Mexico was great for a lot of reasons. That show was incredible. Everything went smoothly and the show was a lot of fun. I was able to see some new and old bands for the first time at that show as well as reunite with old friends. Mexico knows how to do it, I hope that people can emulate the great scene and support that exists in Mexico because it doesn’t get any better than that in my opinion. Even though it was my first time playing in Mexico, Strife has done small tours there. Unfortunately for me, I was unable to do the last one so we had an old friend fill in for me. From what I heard, the guys said it was a great tour, and we can’t wait to go back to Mexico to play again. 




11.Any plans to tour Latin America in the future? 
The band is on a bit of a break and the only things that are booked are local shows later in the year. Life has a way of tying you down at times and after a very busy 2016 we have slowed down booking shows temporarily. We still get great offers but we will be getting together soon to plan tours and resume doing what we love most. We hope that includes a trip to South America. 




12.Finally can you please share some words with the people who follow this blog 
The United States is going through horrible social turmoil surrounding the visible assembly of hate groups and it continues to weigh heavily on my mind. I feel that it is impossible to watch these hate groups becoming more and more visible while appearing to be an organized and prominent part of our landscape. I see these hate movements growing support and hope that people who aren’t aware of the hardcore community can resist the temptation for inclusion somewhere like hate groups and find the appeal in the positive and uplifting community built through Hardcore and Punk music. I personally found hardcore because there wasn’t a place for me on a sports team or otherwise and I feel that hate groups appeal to people who don’t feel like they have a place to go. Of course I despise the views of the hateful, racist, and sexist groups but know how hard it can be for a completely isolated and impressionable kid like myself or others to resist a motivated group that is aiming to recruit people for their horrendous agendas. Hardcore was the positive answer for lot’s of people like myself and I hope that the people all over the world who feel like they don’t belong can resist the temptation of inclusion by these hate groups and find a place in a hardcore, punk, or a music scene that supports diversity. I am sure that some will not be so lucky and I hope that Hardcore will always be a place of inclusion and will continue to appeal to all kinds of people. I hope that outsiders looking in don’t just see a small group of people in front of the stage like we see now in so many places. I hope that dancing styles that appear to be too violent and a place for only tough guys to enjoy, will begin to appear to be a place that invites people to participate up front with the band and everyone else. Sure hardcore has been a place where people can join the band and sing along while getting out a little pent up energy and that is a healthy thing as long as hardcore bands and the community as a whole insist that the scene is for people all shapes, sexes, sizes, colors, and creeds. Bumps and bruises aside, my hope is that it is appealing and fun to be up front because we as a global community made up of misfits and people that think outside the box risk isolating certain types of people at times and I don’t want to see that happen. Let’s make hardcore a place where everyone can have fun while looking out for one another so we can help be a home for everyone and be sure to avoid allowing the disenfranchised to fall prey to the sick ideologies of growing racist and hate groups. Thank you




Atención gente de Colombia, Strife recientemente añadido una fecha para Colombia, les compartimos el afiche.


1 comentario:

  1. Que bueno que estos personajes iconos dentro del under mundial reconozca sus orígenes con humildad y sin poses. Además ver en bandas como BB y DK parte de sus influencias es muestra de apertura de mente. Por otra parte que el mae conozca y entienda de bandas latinoamericanas es mérito extra para él.
    Por ultimo me parece fundamental que se hable de su posición politica y social ante el resurgimiento de grupos de mierda que normalmente llegan a reclutar ineptos al under pensando que se ha bajado la guardia con estos temas. Racismo, homofobia, fundamentalísimos y demás mierdas como estas no deben ser toleradas ni dar pie a que crezcan dentro del under ni fuera tampoco.

    ResponderEliminar