miércoles, 9 de agosto de 2017

Entrevista a Mike Hartsfield / New Age Records

Tuvimos la oportunidad de hablar con Mike Hartsfield el dueño de uno de los sellos hardcore que crecieron en los años 90s, les hablamos de New Age Records. 


Hi Mike, thanks for your time and accepting for the interview: 

1. How do you start into hardcore and punk music?
I got into hardcore and punk from heavy metal around ’85/’86. I met friends at school I ended up hanging out quite a bit with and everything they were listening to was really exposing me to some much great music.


2. Do you remember your first show?
I started going to metal shows in ’82, cross over was big in the mid 80’s so I would see bands like Anthrax & Blast on the same bill. It was an amazing exciting time in music.


3. What means Straight Edge in your life?
Straight edge is the easiest, greatest most important personal decision I have ever made in my life. Since they days of deciding to become straight edge, I have never felt like I was "missing out” on something I felt I needed to be taking part in. Simply excluding those things (drugs/alcohol) can really streamline your life and give you focus.




4. In wich bands have you play?
Oh god… haha.. too many. Freewill, Against the Wall, Outspoken, Drift Again, Strife, the Suppression Swing, A18, One Choice, Done Dying and Dear Furious.




5. How was the begining of New Age Records?
It was fun, exciting, I had no idea what to do (I still don’t) I worked 2 full time jobs to raise money getting it started. I worked at a restaurant and also worked clearing houses that had burned down to be rebuilt. It was an amazing time for hardcore and that’s what fueled the label early on. 






6. Do you think it's a difference between old and new hardcore bands and the scene?

Of course. It’s different, some things better and some things not so… Everything changes. It’s hard to put into words, it’s more of just observations over 30 years. I’m really a fan of bands that have simple, honest ethics.

7. What is your favorite band of all time?
Wide Awake.

8. What do you think about hardcore scene worldwide?
I think its amazing (for where I’ve been and what I have experienced first hand). I love the European hardcore scene. I think it’s amazing. So may opened minded people and really strong bonds between fans of the music and the bands they support.

9. Do you now any hardcore bands in latin América?

Not right now. I’m sure most of the bands would jump at the chance to tour there if they were offered something.

10. And finally, share some words with people that follow this blog
Thank you so much for your support. Blogs, record stores, zines, websites, there are so many aspects to the community of the hardcore scene. Let’s keep it alive!!!

Thanks for your time Mike
thanks so much for caring enough to do this.
-Mike

1 comentario:

  1. Buena entrevista! Sencilla directa y sin posturas. Felicidades por el espacio.

    ResponderEliminar